Disclosures for more information.This page may contain affiliate links. Please read my
On this page you will find a handy list of recommendations for everything from saving money, budgeting, investing, making a little extra money, and starting your own online business. Everything on this page I either have personal experience with, or have verified through people I trust.
Make Money Online Sites
- Wealthy Affiliate– Excellent training to learn affiliate marketing and how to build a website with WordPress. There is live help from a very active community 24 hours a day, and the ability to communicate directly with the owners for help. Hosting for 25 free sites and 25 sites on your own domains is included in the membership for $49/month, or $30/month if you pay yearly ($359). This is the training platform where I got my start, and it is my top recommendation.
Want to learn more about Wealthy Affiliate?
Bookkeeping Business Training– More business outsource their bookkeeping needs every day. This means there is an opportunity for you to turn their needs into your home business.
- Bookkeepers Business Launch– This is the best training resource I have found anywhere for anyone interested in starting a bookkeeping business. The course costs $1999 if paid in full, or can be paid in 12 payments of $199. Before you run away from the price tag, think about this for a minute: You won’t learn as much about a bookkeeping business in college, and it will cost you more! Not only that, college will only teach you how to keep the books, not how to build your business and get clients. Bookkeepers Business Launch does all of that and more. It’s an amazing price for anyone serious about getting started with a bookkeeping business.
Paid Survey Sites– These are great for earning a little extra money on the side in your spare time, but don’t go in thinking you can make a full time income with online surveys.
- Swagbucks– Make some extra cash taking surveys, watching videos, playing games, and searching the internet.
- SurveyJunkie– Take surveys to earn points. 1000 points = $10, and some surveys pay up to 300 points.
- InboxDollars– Take daily surveys to earn a little extra cash, or sign up for paid trial offers.
- PineCone Research– $3 per survey taken, and payouts are immedite after completing a survey.
- Ipsos’ I-Say– Some cash surveys (most $1-2, rarely up to $90+) and some points surveys. 1000 points = $10.
- PointClub– Guaranteed points for every survey taken, and a $5 sign up bonus.
- VIP Voice– Earn points to enter sweepstakes and auctions for vacations, electronics, and much more.
- American Consumer Opinion– Make money for every survey you take.
Sites To Sell Your Stuff– If you’ve got a lot of stuff lying around that you just don’t use anymore, you can make a little extra money selling it instead of paying to throw it away.
- Decluttr– A quick and easy way to sell cell phone you no longer use, CDs, DVDs, books, video games, and other tech.
Save Money Sites
EBates– Shop online by using Ebates’ links to popular merchants, and get cash back. Ebates makes a commission for referring you to stores, and they give you some of that money. So shop like you normally would, and get money back. You’ll want to add this one to your bookmarks! And if you sign up through this link and make $25 of purchases in 90 days, you’ll get a $10 bonus!
Ibotta– Download the app, shop at participating stores, get cash back. Some stores are supported to earn cash back by sending a picture of the receipt. Others need a linked loyalty card. There are even in-app purchases from popular online retailers that can earn you cash back.
$5 Meal Plan– $5 a month gets meal plans with exact shopping lists sent to you. When you plan your meals, and know exactly how much of everything you need, grocery saving add up quickly. You won’t buy a bunch of extras when you plan, and you won’t cook a meal so big that half of it gets thrown away a week later.
Republic Wireless– Need to keep your cell phone but can’t afford the expensive plan? Get plans starting at just $15 a month and stay in touch without breaking the bank.
Eyeglasses.com– Find a huge selection of designer frames for up to 50% off retail. When your prescription changes, instead of buying a whole new set of glasses, mail in the frames and get new lenses fitted. As an authorized out-of-network provider for all insurance plans, you insurance will even pay some of their already discounted prices!
1800Contacts.com– You’ve probably heard that you can save a lot on contacts with 1800Contacts. So why haven’t you started? Maybe this will help you decide: They offer an online vision test for only $20! That’s right, you can get your prescription, online, for only $20. That means saving on the vision test, and savings on the contacts. What are you waiting for?
1800PetMeds.com– We love our pets, but their prescriptions and flea treatments can get a little pricier than we like. Take a look at 1800PetMeds.com. They offer some great deals all year long, and are constantly updating their specials and sales.
Debt and Credit Help
Know Your Credit Score– Use these sites as a guide to help improve your credit.
- Credit Sesame– They make it easy to track your credit, and keep up with things that affect your score.
- CafeCredit– Learn the best ways to check your credit score and credit report, and understand how to make better financial decisions.
Refinance High-Interest Debt
- Prosper– High-interest debt consolidation, low interest home improvement loans, and auto loans. Easy to apply and see your savings.
- Lending Club– Refinance one high-interest credit card, or consolidate several high-interest balances and save hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in interest.
- Lending Tree– Refinance high-interest credit card debt, or look for a lower rate on your auto loan or mortgage. Fast quotes show you how much you could save
- Credible– Refinance your student loans through Credible and potentially save thousands in interest and pay them off faster.
Personal Capital– Financial software that helps you track net worth, cash flow, investments and more. Very helpful to get on track financially and stay there.
- Prosper– Invest in personal loans and earn average returns of 6.83% (according to Prosper data) with a minimum investment of $25 per loan.
- Lending Club– Maybe you’ve seen ads to refinance with Lending Club. Well, you can be the back and see returns of 5% or more (according to Lending Club data). You choose which loans to invest in based on the risk of the loan.
- Motif Investing– Start trading stocks, bonds, and ETFs affordably. Build a portfolio of up to 30 stocks for a commission of only $9.95.
- Digit– Do you have trouble putting money aside for savings? Sign up with Digit, and do it automatically.
- Policy Genius– It may sound morbid, but life insurance is an investment. You may not benefit from it, but your spouse or children will appreciate it someday. Get a quote and comparable policies in just 5 minutes.
For those just starting out with blogging, you don’t need to go crazy on the hosting package. A single site is enough to get you up and running and learning the ropes.
- Bluehost– Bluehost is my favorite hosting company. They have always done an excellent job of keeping my websites up and running. Unlike other hosts I have heard horror stories about, I have experienced no downtime with them. They are very affordable, and highly rated by the vast majority of users. Sign up for as little as $3.95 a month.
- InterServer– Almost 20 years providing hosting is a great track record, and their prices are pretty amazing too.
- HostGator– Despite some poor reviews, HostGator is still going strong, and providing hosting at reasonable prices.
Already know the basics and ready to start building up your website portfolio? These are great options.
- Knownhost– Great rates on VPS hosting, with much less risk of downtime than shared hosting. You will have a portion of the server dedicated to your site at all times, guaranteeing that your page loads quickly and keeps your visitors happy.
- Wealthy Affiliate– Even if you don’t need the training to start an online business that they offer, you can host 50 sites (25 on your own domains, and 25 on free SiteRubix subdomains) for $30 a month when you pay yearly. Bonus points, the 25 sites on your own domains come with automatic redundancy, so if the server holding one goes down, the redundant version takes over seamlessly, meaning no downtime for your site, even during server maintenance. If you get stuck when working on your site, the community of over 1 million members will be there to help you through, 24 hours a day.
Premium WordPress Themes
- StudioPress– An amazing selection of themes, and incredible technical support. I absolutely love working with them! One license allows use of the theme on as many sites as you want, even sites you intent to sell, or build for someone else.
- Theme Forest– Tons of themes here, lots of them for less than $20. Just beware, each license is good for only one site.
Email List Services
- ConvertKit– A great option for email list management. Very user friendly. I use ConvertKit, and couldn’t be happier with them. When you create an account, you will receive a series of emails with video training walking you through how to do everything to get your forms set up, your email sequences ready to go, and your automations online. They literally wrote the book on email marketing, and you can get it free right here.
- AWeber– Aweber lets readers subscribe to your blog and newsletters. They make email list management a breeze. They’ve been around for a long time, and they do things right.